From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Andy Arbon <gentoo@××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New baselayout
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:47:22
1 On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 01:17, Andy Arbon wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Martin,
6 >
7 > Thanks for answering my mail.
8 >
9 > var is not on a NFS mount (fstab):
10 > /dev/hda6 /var ext3 noatime 0 0
11 >
12 > and my NFS mounts are listed in /etc/fstab and are mounted by the
13 > netmount script, which is linked into /etc/runlevels/default
14 >
15 > The portmap service is also in /etc/runlevels/default (I mention that
16 > because I know it is often the source of NFS mounting trouble).
19 So in theory /var should be mounted *before* depscan.sh or anything
20 runs that need /var/lib/init.d/.
21
22 I am not too sure why it breaks, as previous versions did work with
23 a /usr and /var on separate partitions, and nothing really changed
24 in that regard. Also, you would have gotten a big error if
25 /var/lib/init.d could not be created.
26
27 Only suggestion for now, is try to pass 'gentoo=tmpfs' as kernel
28 parameter.
31 Regards,
35 Martin Schlemmer
36 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
37 Cape Town, South Africa