From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-libs/zlib: punt from system in profiles
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 18:08:13
On Wednesday 30 November 2011 11:34:05 Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 08:09 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote: > > On Wednesday 30 November 2011 01:23:59 Zac Medico wrote: > >> If it wasn't for implicit system dependencies, the system set and its > >> dependencies wouldn't need this kind of special treatment. > > > > if it wasn't for implicit system dependencies, we'd have significant > > bloat in the tree > > I'm not suggesting that we do away with implicit dependencies entirely. > However, I think it's good to minimize them, as removing packages like > sys-libs/zlib from the system set tends to do.
i'm good with this as well which is why i've been culling the simpler stuff
> > and circular deps out the wazoo > > Ignoring circular dependencies doesn't make them go away. Ignoring > dependencies can lead to build failures that could have been avoided if > they were expressed in a way that the dependency resolver could properly > account for them.
that doesn't address the previously mentioned issue. there's absolutely no reason why the majority of packages in the tree should have to list "coreutils" or "sed" or "grep" in their DEPEND, nor is there any reason why the system should have been lacking them in the first place. -mike