From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enemy Territory ebuild
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:12:58
1 Well, I am simply going to leave it as full versions for the time
2 being. I apologise to dial-up users, but I believe something like this
3 should follow the policies that will be implemented with GLEP #9.
4
5 I would definitely *not* use a USE flags at all, since a USE flag is for
6 adding or removing optional features from a package. If anything were
7 to be used, it would be a FEATURE flag.
8
9 Having the user manually fetching patches would break the
10 non-interactivity of portage. Yes, I know the ebuld already does this
11 in a way, but I'm speaking from a general perspective on packages, not
12 just specific to this one.
13
14 An environment variable would be a way to implement the patching, but
15 would not work with portage, since the SRC_URI would still force the
16 download of both the full version and the patches.
17
18 The only way to keep the portage frmo downloading all the files is via a
19 USE flag, which I find to be a bad implementation decision for this
20 particular problem. Quite honestly, I see all game ebuilds of this type
21 using patches in the future. The big problem as I see it is I have had
22 quite a number of complaints from people BECAUSE I was using the
23 patches. They were "annoyed" by the fact that a certain ebuild would
24 every download the files from a previous version. Quite honestly, I
25 should have simply closed the bug as WONTFIX and left everything as it
26 was with patches.
27