From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:56:32
1 On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:56:01 -0500
2 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > Because a) a future EAPI might want to change EAPI into a function
5 > > rather than a variable,
6 >
7 > Why? It couldn't be dynamic - not if you're going to put it in the
8 > filename as well. And why have it in two places? If you are going to
9 > put the EAPI in the filename, why put it inside the ebuild as well?
10 > We don't do that with version numbers or package names.
11
12 eapi 3
13
14 Is considered by some to look nicer than
15
16 EAPI="3"
17
18 > > b) there are a zillion ways of setting a
19 > > variable in bash and people already use all of them and c)
20 > > introducing new weird format requirements is silly.
21 >
22 > But this GLEP is already proposing a format requirement. It is just
23 > putting it in the filename instead of in the ebuild contents. It
24 > isn't like you could just put anything in the filename anywhere you
25 > want and the package manager will be able to understand it. If devs
26 > are going to have to get correct "-1" at the end of the filename, why
27 > couldn't they also get right "EAPI=1" inside the file?
28
29 Because in the future we might want to have something other than
30 setting EAPIs by EAPI=1.
33 Ciaran McCreesh