From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:29:14
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I don't really see a way to reliably call grub2-install from the
4 > ebuild, and I think this would be a bit unfriendly to the user anyway.
7 Please don't. We don't auto-install grub during the initial install,
8 so we have NO idea how users have set up grub1. I'd rather not try to
9 automate the grub2 migration. For all we know they aren't even using
10 it to boot.
11
12 Interesting - it looks like I don't even have grub "installed" - the
13 hardware on my current box has probably changed twice since I
14 installed Gentoo on it so an install-once thing like grub that is
15 safely tucked away in an unmounted /boot probably got out of sync.
16
17 I'd think that a typical Gentoo user would want some control over
18 their grub installation. A good guide and a news announcement of the
19 upcoming change probably would be sufficient.
20
21 Rich