From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GPL violations with net-misc/vpnc?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:05:31
1 Christian Faulhammer wrote:
2
3 > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>:
4 >
5 >> > While we are not distributing binaries, I could easily add a
6 >> > USE flag to enable it; the user compiles it himself, so it is all
7 >> > fine. But now regard the existence of binary hosts, are they
8 >> > distributions of then illegal binaries?
9 Definitely. IIRC distribution within an organisation doesn't count as
10 distribution under the GPL but I am not a lawyer. (Nor do I like that
11 acronym: my eyeballs survive reading it tho ;) Any public binhost like
12 tinderbox[1] would be unable to make binaries available.
13 >> isn't bindist useflag made for this purpose ?
14 >
15 > Great. Thanks...so what is common practice? Should the ebuild die,
16 > telling people a feature will not be included or just exclude it with
17 > an ewarn only?
18 >
19 Dunno what common practice is, but from a user perspective, it's much better
20 if the binhost compiles without the feature than dies altogether. An
21 ewarn/elog about bindist is sufficient for any competent admin (and newbs
22 can search site:forums.gentoo.org or whinge on IRC, where they shall be
23 gently enlightened ;)
24
25 [1] http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/html/default-linux/
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list