From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: phajdan.jr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: removal of <net-print/foo2zjs-99999999 (earlier versions are fubar)
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 14:06:46
1 On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:17:44 +0200
2 ""Paweł Hajdan, Jr."" <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 6/2/11 7:00 PM, Dane Smith wrote:
5 > > I'm going to guess you've already tried this, but just in case. Did
6 > > you try asking him to version things more... sanely? I've had to do
7 > > that a few times and people are usually surprisingly receptive.
8 >
9 > Right, that's a good idea. Have you visited
10 > <http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/> ? The message on that page is quite
11 > hostile towards distros:
12
13 Sorry, I haven't seen this either. I thought you mean a VCS when you
14 mentioned a 'live' ebuild. Now that I see how the ebuilds look like,
15 I have only one idea. It's simple yet ugly.
16
17 You could have a 'versioned' ebuild linked to the actual SRC_URI,
18 and bump it whenever you notice the upstream tarball changes. This
19 would allow users to have the package upgraded automatically.
20 I think it would be similar to the situation we had with adobe-flash
21 packages.
24 Best regards,
25 Michał Górny