From: Ian Phillips <ianp@×××××.com>
To: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fonts, Xfree, Linux
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:46:46
1 > had a look at it (popt is a required dependency for it), and I've
2 > asked Graham (vladimir@g.o) to come up with a perl equivalent for it. To me, it seems that coding that in C and using popt is overkill.
3
4 Surely Python would be more Gentoo-ish?
5
6 As to files in /etc, how about this as a first hack: modify etc-update
7 so that an ebuild can mark a file in /etc as requiring manual attention
8 and possibly an optional short text message. I'm not sure of the best
9 way to do this, but maybe if etc-update finds an update file with some
10 magic string as the first line then it will say that the file needs
11 attention. The file could just be a pointer to the user to run
12 GentooFontUpdater or whatever the new tool is called.
13
14 It seems (more than) a little hacky, but I think that not touching files
15 in /etc is a good rule, and think it's worth putting some effort into a
16 way of not breaking it.
17
18 Ian.
21 #ifndef __COMMON_SENSE__ | Ian Phillips
22 #include <std_disclaimer> | TIBCO Software Inc.
23 #endif | www.tibco.com
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list