From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 19:27:26
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >> 3. grub2-install calls grub2-bios-setup which installs boot.img into
4 >> the MBR and embeds core.img into the sectors immediately after the
5 >> MBR.
6 >
7 > Ok, that isn't all that unlike grub1 - that is what stage1.5 is.  It
8 > just sounds like these aren't static files that are copied out of
9 > /boot/grub, but rather they're built on-demand from other files there.
10 >  Grub1 figures out which static stage1.5 you need based on where /boot
11 > is.  They probably went to a more dynamic model so that they can
12 > support stuff like LVM+MD+LUKS+etc without having every permutation of
13 > static code.  I'm not sure how smart the bootloader code ends up being
14 > - it wouldn't surprise me if at time of install the installer does all
15 > the work and just loads a simple bootloader on the diagnostic cylinder
16 > with just enough smarts to find /boot if it hasn't changed.
17
18 Spot on. :-)