From: Jeff Rose <rosejn@××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:04:39
1 Alright, we are narrowing in. I think starting with a CLI installer makes
2 sense because it will allow us to work on the true installation issues
3 rather than getting bogged down in gui code. Lets use python. That will
4 let us to use both Cursing Cow and Anaconda as great resources for just
5 about every step of the installation. Once we feel like everything runs
6 smoothly on a variety of boxes then we can work on putting a gui on top.
7 (I think wxPython is the best solution. Its clean, quick and extensive.
8 We could even use a gui builder to quickly experiment with a variety of
9 interface options.) Anyway, that is for later.
10 Building the installer as a set of install/configuration modules
11 is a great idea. Lets start with defining those modules, and then we can
12 work on common code etc. before digging in.
13 I propose that we break this whole idea into 3 main sections.
14 (Note: This has nothing to do with the stage1,2,3 tarballs.)
15
16 First, we need the basic gentoo installation:
17
18 - partitioning and file systems (RAID support? SCSI cards?)
19 - nic detection and module loading (Pretty much complete?)
20 - dns, routing, firewall stuff
21 - date & time
22 - keyboard, mouse, language
23 - cpu detection and compiler flags
24 - mounting partitions and getting stage tarball setup
25 - password & hostname
26 - fstab
27 - bootloader setup (interfaces to lilo and/or grub)
28
29 Once the basic system is installed we move into part 2,
30 initial Portage system installation and configuration:
31
32 - Portage tree sync
33 - Setting use flags
34 - Kernel configuration
35 - build
36
37 Now we have a basic system installed. We can reboot into our new
38 kernel and start the final, most difficult, stage of installation: package
39 selection. Rather than just copying everyone else and making large lists,
40 lets try to make this more intuitive. Maybe we could have a few bundles
41 that people can select to get rolling quickly, but full control should
42 still given to the user. Personally, I would rather just get a
43 working gnome/kde installation and then use a gui selection tool rather
44 than some clunky ncurses thing. Maybe we could have a very lightweight
45 CLI manager that lets you select gnome, kde or just cli. If they use
46 gnome or kde then we give them a slick gui manager once X starts up. If
47 they use cli then they are probably setting up a server and they can deal
48 with using emerge as is.
49 After looking through a bunch of code I agree we should really try
50 to use a lot of the existing stuff to get things started. The LiveCD
51 pretty much does all the very initial stuff. After that we can use the
52 cursing cow work to put together the install stage1 and part of stage2.
53 For stage 3, I think we should build a python gui (wxPython?) that doesn't
54 use kde or gnome specifically. This is where a lot of the experimentation
55 will need to go.
56
57 Whooh... What do you say? I'll be graduating in a month so I won't be
58 able to work a whole lot until the summer begins, but I think we should
59 try to refine this idea/design a lot before diving in and hacking out
60 something that just works.
61
62 Peace!
63 Jeff