From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] An official Gentoo wiki
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 02:40:06
Mark Loeser wrote:
> So, gentoo-wiki.com went down for a awhile and took something away from > our users something that is useful. Its back now, but I think we should > consider having our own official wiki that our users can contribute to. > We already have something very similar to this on the forums, and this > would just give the correct tool to put their documentation on. > > I already know some people are going to hate this idea and say that the > documentation could be wrong, etc, so lets look at how others have > handled this situation. It seems that Ubuntu has their own official > documentation section and a community section where users can contribute > to. We can put a nice big warning saying that the user documentation > may have some errors, and that any such errors should not be directed at > the maintainers of the package or the GDP. > > What are others feelings on this? What issues do you see with having a > wiki? Do you see anyway to resolve the issue you see with us having a > wiki? >
I have been following gentoo-wiki's new procedures and rebuild process and I think they are on a good track right now. I am throwing this out there, can we ask Mike Valstar for a dump of all his stuff, slap it on gentoo hardware under a wiki.gentoo.org link? It could be a "community building" experience and offering the stability of gentoo hardware to a service like gentoo-wiki. Maybe also invite Mike to be the admin of said hardware, etc. Thoughts? (I don't know what a community wiki would require for infra hardware, maybe someone will chime in) 2 cents, Jeremy