From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo commit in xml/htdocs/proj/en/qa: index.xml
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:21:41
1 On 09:05 Fri 10 Jun , Dane Smith wrote:
2 > Part of me thinks this is a good idea for the simple reason that some
3 > people seem to have issues with QA/DevRel. Perhaps if the lead were
4 > "appointed by council" there would be less raging every time the team
5 > tried to do anything. But then again, we can't all play nice over a
6 > freaking ChangeLog, even with Council making the call, so I somehow
7 > doubt this will fix *anything at all*
8 >
9 > Having said that, council appointments for the team lead may not be a
10 > bad idea.
11
12 We're starting to get into -project material here, but given the thread
13 started here I'll keep it here...
14
15 I like the idea of appointed leads instead of holding elections, it fits
16 into my big picture of less bureaucracy and more meritocracy (see my
17 email re running for council on -project). Appointments would be made by
18 the "next level up" from the lead. So project leads would come from the
19 council, subproject leads from the project, etc.
20
21 > Perhaps do council appointments if the lead steps down / if the team
22 > calls for a re-appointment (there would need to be rules for this
23 > part. I don't want to see a new "appointee" merely because the lead
24 > upset one person. Perhaps if more than 50% of the team or like 10
25 > other developers are asking for a new lead or some such foo.)
26
27 I'd suggest that there shouldn't be any "term limit" on a lead, and no
28 need to have re-elections or re-confirmations yearly or otherwise. A
29 majority of the team can petition the council for a re-appointment at
30 any time, but the council is not required to act on it. Unpopular
31 actions doesn't equal wrong actions.
32
33 > Lastly, given that it will be the lead for a given team, I think that
34 > team should have the ability to pick their "candidates" to go to
35 > council, and maybe just give Council the vote on who gets it. Or, have
36 > council appoint people they think are fit, and the team can vote from
37 > there. Either way I think would work alright.
38
39 Perhaps interested people on the team could just say they want to be
40 lead, and the council would pick one of them. I think leadership should
41 come from the top.
44 Thanks,
45 Donnie
46