From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Replace 'sash' with 'busybox' as our static rescue shell
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:37:54
1 i dont want to discuss the logistics of how this will be done just yet ...
2
3 the idea is to remove 'sash' from our system target and replace it with
4 busybox ... there are a few applets that sash implements and busybox does not
5 (chattr ed file lsattr printenv sum where), but i added chattr, lsattr,
6 printenv, and sum to busybox yesterday :) ... i've never heard of 'where' and
7 going by its behavior in sash, it's basically 'which' ... that leaves us with
8 'ed' and 'file' which i think we can ignore and be OK ...
9
10 for those of you who do not know, busybox is a single binary which implements
11 the functionality of most system utils ... it does not completely implement
12 some features, just the most common ones, but then again sash does the same
13 thing :)
14
15 details:
16 - busybox implements a *ton* more applets ... it can be configured to replace
17 over 100 system funcs while sash provides about 35 ...
18 - size wise, busybox would be larger, probably by about ~150k - ~200k
19 - busybox commands are transparent while sash requires you to prefix internal
20 commands with a '-' ... so running `cp` in busybox will use busybox's cp
21 while sash needs to run '-cp', and you can still execute the real cp by
22 doing /bin/cp in busybox
23
24 feedback !?
25 -mike