From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removals reply
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 06:08:05
1 On Sun, 2013-02-03 at 06:07 +0100, Vaeth wrote:
2 > So this 30 day delay will enable these people to get involved,
3 > especially for all the packages which were removed in the last years?
4 > Now it is apparent that an archive for dropped packages (in the
5 > form of keeping masked packages or some other form) is not needed:
6 > I want to join your club with the time machine!
7
8 If you want an automatic archive for dropped packages, MAKE ONE! Get a
9 domain name, rent a VPS with lots of disc space, subscribe a mail
10 account to gentoo-dev, write a small script that parses last-rites
11 announcements and automatically archives the affected ebuilds and their
12 sources.
13
14 You have to realize that there are only three ways to get something done
15 in the non-commercial open-source space:
16 1. convince someone else that it's fun;
17 2. convince someone else that it's important; or
18 3. do it yourself.
19
20 We the Gentoo developers strongly believe that this project is not fun
21 and not important. So if want dropped packages to be automatically
22 archived, I suggest that you volunteer for the job of automatically
23 archiving them.
24
25 -Alexandre.