From: Mike <mpagano@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 13:29:30
1 On 9/13/18 7:25 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, Mike wrote:
3 >
4 >> Picking random email.
5 >
6 >> I would like to say I'm glad we can discuss our technical differences
7 >> like this with both sides expressing their opinion and reasoning.
8 >
9 >> I would hope in the future we start with this path and not with
10 >> disciplinary action or bugs requesting the removal of commit access.
11 >
12 >> We're showing here we can bring up our points without handing out "QA
13 >> strikes" or some other type of confrontational action.
14 >
15 > Sorry, but I am tired of that antagonising of the QA team.
16 >
17 > There hasn't been any bug about commit access removal. And not sure what
18 > you mean with "QA strike", but there also wasn't any direct QA action on
19 > the package that triggered the current discussion. After being CCed to a
20 > bug, the QA team has merely pointed out to the maintainer that the
21 > package is not in agreement with the current policy (as it is defined in
22 > the devmanual).
23 >
24 > IMHO this is the QA team's purpose. Or what would you expect us to do
25 > instead? Remain silent if asked by another developer to evaluate an
26 > issue? Then we could as well disband QA.
27 >
28 > Also note that there are several remedies if there is disagreement
29 > between a maintainer and QA, like asking QA for an exception, appealing
30 > to the council, or changing the policy in question.
31 >
32 > Ulrich
35 I'm sorry you feel I am antagonizing QA. I've never had a problem with
36 QA, personally.
37
38 And I apologize for writing that commit rights were requested to be
39 removed. My mistake, bugzilla access rights were asked to be removed.
40
41 I actually thought I was complimenting our process. Seeing people
42 discuss their technical differences.
43
44 I'm not a fan of more and more and more regulation that I see. Sorry if
45 you don't like that opinion.
46
47 And by "QA strike", I am referring to the policy that was posted and
48 then rescinded.
49
50 But, this is all off-topic of this thread.