From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: toolchain@g.o, base-system@g.o
Subject: Update - Re: [gentoo-dev] glibc-2.26 and changes with SunRPC, libtirpc, ntirpc, libnsl (NIS and friends), ...
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 21:05:23
1 Update...
2
3 So I asked ntirpc upstream, and they do not intend to remain compatible with
4 sunrpc / libtirpc. Meaning we only have two RPC alternatives, one of which
5 will go away, and things get a lot easier.
6
7 > 1) About RPC.
8
9 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Toolchain/RPC_implementation
10
11 ^ please see this Wiki page for a proposed workflow and autoconf examples.
12
13 In short, IUSE=libtirpc switches the implementation, while IUSE=rpc switches
14 an optional rpc support on/off.
15 (Similar to ssl, libressl)
18 > 2) About YP / NIS / NIS+.
19 >
20 > a) The old libnsl implementation is provided by glibc, soversion 1.
21 > b) An updated and much improved implementation is provided by
22 > net-libs/libnsl, soversion 2.
23 >
24 > glibc-2.26 installs only the library for a), and no headers.
25 > Since I dont want to mess with currently used glibc ebuilds, net-libs/libnsl
26 > requires at least our glibc-2.26 (otherwise you get file collisions).
27 >
28 > Porting a package means adding a dependency in the style of
29
30 || ( net-libs/libnsl <sys-libs/glibc-2.26 )
35 Andreas K. Hüttel
36 dilfridge@g.o
37 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)