From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Versioning the tree
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:02:11
1 On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:56:47 -0600
2 "James Potts" <arek75@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > This looks good on the surface, Chris, but what happens in the case
5 > where somebody wants to use the Release tree, but also wants (or
6 > needs) one or more packages from the Live tree, and doesn't want to
7 > switch completely over to the live tree? If I understand what you
8 > want to do correctly, the Release tree would include only stable
9 > packages. Other packages wouldn't just be masked, they would be
10 > completely unavailable to anybody using that tree.
11 >
12 > I like the idea of having a stable p.mask much better, which says
13 > "profile" to me. Any thoughts on a special profile just for releases?
14
15 Sounds like a perfect situation to use a package manager with true
16 multiple repository support.
17
18 -Steve