From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog change
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:59:22
1 On Thursday 15 May 2003 03:20, Weeve wrote:
2 > Hi everybody,
3 >
4 > Not attempting to stir up a hornets' nest but I was just wondering when
5 > the ChangeLog format changed (in regards to echangelog) and the reasoning
6 > behind it.
7
8 I hope this thread will end with this reply of mine, this time around :-)
9
10 There is the "old"/standard changelog format: every new entry goes on top.
11 This is _the same format_ used today, it is the only one ever officially
12 approved policy-wise, and echangelog now uses it.
13
14 At some point people suggested using a "new" format where a new entry goes
15 under its version's * line. Some people assumed this was the new ratified
16 format and began using it; echangelog was written (or updated) to use it.
17
18 Then drobbins stepped in and clarified that the new format wasn't official and
19 made everyone go back to the old one. However echangelog continued to use the
20 "new" format for a long time. Eventually it was changed back to the old,
21 correct format.
22
23 So that the official format _never changed_. People who've been using it were
24 mistaken about the policy, in many cases because of echangelog's behavior.
25 Hopefully that's rectified now.
28 Dan Armak
29 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
30 Matan, Israel