From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 30 (Planet Gentoo): Round 2
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:20:53
1 On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 23:08 +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:50:52PM +0000 or thereabouts, Daniel Drake wrote:
3 > > +The success of the planet will be evaluated by examining the number of hits to
4 > > +the planet. 3 months after launch, one weeks worth of logs will be recorded,
5 > > +and hits will be counted. If the hit count for that week is below 1000, the
6 > > +planet will be deemed as not having met its target, and appropriate action can
7 > > +be taken if the planet appears to be harming our image.
8 >
9 > This is fine with me, but I thought we had decided to ask the users and use
10 > their response as a more accurate gauge of its success?
11
12 Define 'the users' and 'their response' ? Success is when enough people
13 check back on a daily basis to see whats going on in Gentoo land. Hits i
14 find a somewhat awkward measure, i assume it means all hits : to the
15 page & to the rss feed. The second also generates hits for ppl who not
16 necessarily read it and/or who update frequently (several times a day)
17 and as such is not very reliable in itself.
18
19 Last but not least i see it also as a way of developer communications,
20 ideally it gives a broad overview where things are heading. As such mere
21 user interest might not even be all that relevant.
22
23 I still think your requirements make it more difficult to implement this
24 than it should be. I still see no reason why Gentoo itself should
25 provide blog space, it only makes matters more difficult regarding
26 developers leaving, etc. Devs who blog already do so outside of Gentoo,
27 devs who don't aren't en masse gonna start now.
28
29 - foser