From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: OpenAFS no longer needs kernel option DEBUG_RODATA
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 06:20:49
1 On Sun, 24 Jul 2016 00:04:53 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > Am Freitag, 22. Juli 2016, 15:57:36 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:
8 >
9 > > > > Wrong. PMS specifically requests you to account for such a
10 > > > > possibility.
11 > > >
12 > > > Common sence must prevail over formal approaches. While PMS is
13 > > > great, it is not perfect in all possible aspects, and this one is
14 > > > one of them.
15 >
16 > [snipping irrelevant blather]
17 >
18 > > Slots are not the only way in which you can end up with multiple
19 > > installed versions of the same package. Another way is if there's a
20 > > fatal error during certain parts of the upgrade process.
21 >
22 > 1) If a package only ever had one slot, it cannot ever have two versions
23 > installed at the same time. That guarantee (of only ever one slot) can be
24 > given for the portage tree (sic). Obviously it doesn't work for overlays,
25 > but there are many things we don't care about for overlays. [A]
26 >
27 > 2) If a package manager leaves two versions of a non-slotted package
28 > "installed" somehow, that package manager is fundamentally broken and its
29 > author should forever refrain from specifying anything. It's not our job to
30 > work around Paludis failure modes. [B]
33 > [A] Let's say there are overlays which package StarOffice, Go-OOO and some
34 > other random OOO fork. Do I have to block them all because of file collisions
35 > then?
36 >
37 > [B] The package manager could be broken to leave some random files on the
38 > system too... maybe we need some more blockers or specific error handling in
39 > all ebuilds?
40
41 So, to summarize: we should dump PMS and get back to caring only what
42 Portage seems to do for a few developers with big mouths, because
43 adding a single 'for' loop is so complex you can't handle it?
44
45 Instead you prefer wasting hours of time of others to discuss ignoring
46 the specification rather than doing things properly. If you don't like
47 PMS, start the procedure for changing it. Or dump it altogether. But
48 stop this nonsense of 'we use this spec that was written specifically
49 for us but random developers can ignore random points because they
50 can'.
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny
55 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>