From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: yngwin@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 07:51:36
1 On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:23:44 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 26 May 2013 00:48, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On the other hand, we
6 > > also agreed that they shouldn't refuse unit files if anyone else
7 > > does the work for them.
8 >
9 > Where is this policy documented?
10
11 Nowhere, I think. I've seen it coming in the late thread, looked common
12 sense enough to me.
13
14 If it is to be documented, I think we should document it in a more
15 general fashion. To cover all stuff like completions, logrotate and so
16 on.
17
18 > >> [...]
19 > >> And you misunderstood: it is systemd that is aggressively opposed to
20 > >> Gentoo. But apparently that doesn't bother some of our developers and
21 > >> Gentoo is becoming more and more welcoming to it.
22 > >
23 > > Protecting freedom through taking away the freedom of using systemd?
24 > > Makes sense really.
25 >
26 > That would be similar to the way the GPL protects software freedom.
27 > Does that not make sense to you either?
28
29 No. The initial version of that response even used 'FSF' but I've
30 decided not to flame it.
31
32 > But it isn't even like that. I'm not taking away anyone's freedom to
33 > use systemd. You can do so if you wish. You can add unit files to your
34 > system by yourself, or use an overlay. There are various ways this
35 > could be realized even within Gentoo.
36
37 You know how fragile that is, don't you?
38
39 > But you seem to dismiss all of those, and will only be happy by
40 > forcing maintainers to add support to packages they maintain, even if
41 > they believe it is a bad idea.
42
43 Do I? As far as I'm concerned, I always kindly asked on IRC or opened
44 bugs for it.
47 Best regards,
48 Michał Górny