From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: important fstab and localmount update, round 2
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 18:50:53
1 On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 2:44 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 02:14:43PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >> > On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 01:30:56PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
5 >> >> On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:22 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >> >> > On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 >> >> >>
8 >> >> >> here is the new version of this news item.
9 >> >> >>
10 >> >> >
11 >> >> > Shouldn't this be conditional based on openrc being installed? I
12 >> >> > don't think other rc implementations are impacted.
13 >> >> >
14 >> >>
15 >> >> +1
16 >> >>
17 >> >> It would also be nice if the title had "OpenRC" in it, so that people
18 >> >> booting with systemd can more easily ignore it.
19 >> >
20 >> > Well, this is sort of a gray area, because the recommendation to use the
21 >> > new fstab syntax is in the fstab man page as well as being in the newest
22 >> > baselayout example fstab, so it really applies everywhere [1].
23 >> >
24 >>
25 >> The man page does not suggest that this is a preference over using
26 >> udev device names. It only says they're preferred over the
27 >> traditional device names which are subject to change, which is
28 >> obviously good advice.
29 >>
30 >> It makes sense that they wouldn't mention udev device names since
31 >> those are udev-specific. It doesn't mention recommendations for lvm
32 >> either, which makes sense since that would be udev-specific most
33 >> likely.
34 >
35 > I was wrong in the man page I mentioned. Check out the mount man page.
36 > I don't see there where it says that tags are only preferred over
37 > traditional device names.
38 > But, it is sort of unclear I suppose. It says that the preferred
39 > setup is the tags (UUID=, LABEL=, etc, but in the same paragraph it says
40 > that mount internally uses the udev symlinks if they are there. What it
41 > doesn't explain is what mount does if they aren't there, but I know it
42 > does work either way.
43
44 Well, considering that it goes on to say that it just uses the udev
45 names anyway, I'd say that the result is the same either way.
46
47 It seems that the mount manpage authors seem to prefer the UUID=
48 syntax and so on. I don't think systemd even runs the mount binary; I
49 believe it just uses the system calls. So, I don't think it is really
50 all that relevant.
53 Rich