From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Glep 48 update (as nominated for next meeting)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:02:07
1 On 30-01-2011 21:00:24 -0500, Dane Smith wrote:
2 > > Again, I strongly object to this plan. Instead:
3 > >
4 > > To become a QA member, one must be a current developer, for at least 6
5 > > months, and one must go through a quiz. The quiz is then evaluated by
6 > > the QA lead or a replacing member from the QA team, in the same way as
7 > > recruiters evaluate new developers. The outcome of the evaluation is
8 > > signed by the QA lead. In case of decline of a new member after the
9 > > evalation, the QA lead must be able to provide a written argumentation
10 > > of this decline, which can be requested by said member or by devrel. If
11 > > providing such argumentation is impossible within a week after
12 > > evaluation, QA must accept said member to the QA team.
13 >
14 > I whole-heartedly disagree with this. First off, the "line in the sand"
15 > concept is completely unnecessary in this case. It barely makes sense
16 > when it's used on a massive scale (can't drink until 21 in the US), and
17 > it only makes sense there because people could not feasibly be evaluated
18 > on an individual basis. In this case, quite clearly they can. Either
19 > they have the skills and the motivation, or they don't. Some x month
20 > line in the sand makes no difference at all and merely slows people down
21 > who would like to help and contribute. We have enough hurdles around
22 > here. Why add more?
23
24 Because some members show different behaviour than before/during
25 recruiting.
26
27 > The same can be said for the quiz. If the current QA lead would like to
28 > decide that way, it should be up to him. But on the whole it should be
29 > the QA leads decision. Personally I think the idea is kind of crazy, and
30 > seems like a waste of time. Evaluation can be done quite easily on a
31 > case by case basis. Why bother with quizzes?
32
33 I guess you also prefer the council members chosing their own
34 replacements then, do you?
35 If QA were just a normal team like most others, I couldn't care less
36 about how they are chosen and who is their lead.
40 Fabian Groffen
41 Gentoo on a different level