From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Attracting developers (Re: Packages up for grabs...)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 00:33:48
1 On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 05:39:00 +1300
2 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 19/12/2012 10:03 p.m., Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > If I were to throw random ideas, I'd think about letting new
6 > > recruits did all commits through a proxy (mentor?). Of course, it
7 > > all would be easier if we used git.
8
9 For once someone suggests a single good case where git beats CVS for
10 portage tree changes: easily checking suggested changes ...
11
12 > I know this side question of "git" migration is one we want to avoid
13 > discussing, I know its in progress.
14 >
15 > But I am literally waiting for it to happen, because for whatever
16 > reason, the present barriers to contribution are too high for me
17 > without it.
18
19 ... and yet someone will always turn up, ignore the context, and write
20 another rant about git.
21
22 > I can't put an exact finger on it, but devs seem to think the quiz
23 > methodology is "easy", but it ( oh, and CVS ) are a high barrier to
24 > entry for me.
25
26 For tree commits, we don't use complex CVS features at all. It isn't and
27 shouldn't be used as a development repository, so you need to know about
28 `cvs {add,commit,remove}', mainly. Most of the `cvs commit' instances
29 are normally handled by repoman.
30
31 > I don't have the time/motivation/focus required to commit to even
32 > completing the quizzes, and I don't have the time/motivation/focus
33 > really required to be a "full dev", and I don't even want to be a
34 > "Full dev" really.
35 >
36 > But I basically have found every time I've done the quiz, its
37 > eventually boiled down to a cycle of
38 >
39 > 1. Read quiz
40 > 2. Find it hard to find documentation on
41 > 3. Search for
42 > 4. Get lost
43 > 5. Find the resulting information I eventually find is vague and
44 > confusing with regard to the question.
45 > 6. Eventually get distracted and do something other than the rest of
46 > the quiz.
47
48 [More of the same...]
49
50 What you want to do is contact your mentor - that is the person who
51 should be able to point out where to find the actual answer or just
52 tell you what the answer is - the point of the quizes is to properly
53 teach you how things work, not how to find out how things work.
54
55 > Can we short cut the whole quiz process and have some "Inbound"
56 > repository until we're full git, which people can fork/commit/pull
57 > and trusted people can review submitted branches and apply them to
58 > CVS?
59
60 You can mail or pastebin someone a diff right now or attach it to a bug
61 report. If every recruit/mentor team worked that way right now, we
62 would already catch a lot more problems much earlier.
63
64 > Because I feel its quite possible partly that CVS is due to blame
65 > ( due to requiring of trusted commit, which requires the questions )
66 > that there is difficulty getting devs, and the longer we're stuck
67 > with it, the more it will be a problem.
68
69 A shiny new workflow doesn't magically make Gentoo development easier.
70 The hard bits aren't usually related to interactive repo access methods.
71
72 We can't get rid of the quizes just because we all now use $shiny.
75 > It could actually be just the Proxy Maintainer workflow is not clear
76 > enough, or simple enough, and that we need more push towards a more
77 > heavy proxy-maintainer based system ( I don't know, I'm ignorant to
78 > too much of proxy-maintainer-ship stuff, to discern /why/ that is
79 > might be difficult, but I'd imagine my ignorance is part of the
80 > problem )
81
82 Proxy commits should work exactly like recruit/mentor commits: you
83 review patches and give the nod and then the commits get done. This
84 workflow is only slightly less convenient with CVS than with git.
88 jer
91 ---
92 I could be a brilliant programmer if someone wrote the perfect IDE for
93 me.