From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Downgrading glibc?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:29:42
1 Diego Elio Pettenò posted on Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:22:44 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Il giorno ven, 11/02/2011 alle 09.50 +0100, Sebastian Pipping ha
4 > scritto:
7 >> Can anyone guide me or point me to a guide how to savely do that
8 >> manually?
9 >
10 > There really isn't a safe way as soon as you built anything at all
11 > against the new version.
12
13 The glibc ebuild really needs an override, like the usual check for
14 I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING_AND_WILL_KEEP_THE_PIECES_IF_IT_BREAKS or some such,
15 set in the environment. Failing to have such an override at all, seems
16 rather unGentooish to me.
17
18 Fortunately for me (I haven't upgraded to 2.13 yet, but ran into the need
19 to downgrade an ~arch version myself not long ago, I hadn't emerged
20 anything of major interest since so the warning was incorrect on its
21 face), Gentoo has a number of alternative methods to enforce one's will
22 over an obstinate system, if one believes it necessary. I think I copied
23 to my personal overlay and edited the ebuild there... after cursing the
24 fact that I couldn't simply set some sort of var to get the perfectly good
25 binpkg of the old version to install. The problem has since been fixed
26 and I've upgraded past it, since.
27
28 If that hadn't worked, I'd have tried the untar-the-binpkg-over-the-live-fs
29 thing. Either that, or the boot to backup snapshot, set ROOT
30 appropriately, and emerge from there.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman