From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: glep@g.o, antarus@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:13:22
1 Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > attaching the GLEP.
5 >
6 > most current version:
7 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~peper/glep-0055.html
8 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~peper/glep-0055.txt
11 > Abstract
12 > ========
13 > This GLEP proposes usage of EAPI-suffixed file extensions for ebuilds
14 > (for example, foo-1.2.3.ebuild-1).
15
16 I probably missed some of the stuff leading up to this GLEP, but what is
17 the problem with having the EAPI in the file and determining it by
18 looking at the file contents?
19
20 Making the file extension variable by adding "-<EAPI>" to it would, in
21 my opinion, make the portage tree a bit less clean and not as elegant.
22 Wouldn't software (like editors determining file type by looking at what
23 is after the ".") also need to be reworked to recognize a variable
24 string after "-" at the end?
25
26 I imagine a lot of people do things now like 'find . -name "*.ebuild" |
27 xargs grep ...'. Not that they could not change their habbits, but
28 forgetting to add a more complex matching rule could lead to errors
29 here. It just seems to me that adding complexity to what is basically a
30 file extension is undesirable unless there is a very good reason why it
31 cannot be done a different way.
32
33 -Joe
34 --