From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed Issuetracker via PEST
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:51:27
1 ons 2001-11-28 klockan 16.37 skrev Jon Nelson:
2
3 > I would like to mention Roundup (written in Python, very perty, and
4 > very easy to use and setup -- took me 15 minutes and doesn't depend
5 > on anything other than mail and python.)
6
7 Did you set it up on a Gentoo machine. I just couldn't get it working on
8 my Gentoo (RC4) system, and I spent a couple of errors on it. Might have
9 been RC4 issues or my lack of Python-knowledge.
10
11 > Given my past experiences with gnats, rt, debbugs, and bugzilla,
12 > I'd say bugzilla is *way* too complex for people to use effectively,
13 > and has perhaps the most horrid interface I've ever experienced.
14 > debbugs was the easiest, and the little bit that I've used roundup
15 > makes me feel fairly comfortable in recommending it.
16
17 As said before, this is the _default_ interface too bugzilla which we
18 have no intention of using (at least not for endusers). Bugzilla is
19 complex before it's _very_ powerful. But I agree, the default interface
20 is too complex for endusers even though most people have no problems
21 adding a new bug. The complexety is when trying to find if a bug is
22 already in there.
23
24 > In summary, usability is far and away the most important thing
25 > in a bug tracking/issue tracking system, and a objective analysis
26 > is probably in order.
27
28 This is very true while talking about endusers. When talking about
29 developers I think the most important thing is that it can handle all
30 the things we need to work effectivly. I also think none of the Gentoo
31 developers will have problems learning Bugzilla if they set there mind
32 to it.
33
34 Regards,
35 Mikael Hallendal
38 Mikael Hallendal
39 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
40 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden