From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Downgrading glibc?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:24:04
1 On 02/11/2011 11:12 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Il giorno ven, 11/02/2011 alle 10.55 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner ha
3 > scritto:
4 >>
5 >> what do you think of working around the memcpy troubles with
6 >> glibc-2.13 by
7 >> simply redirecting memcpy to memmove within glibc, either
8 >> unconditionally or
9 >> optional/temporary (via USE-flag?) until everyone uses memmove where
10 >> necessary?
11 >
12 > That unless things start crashing down nobody will fix the issues at
13 > all.
14 >
15 > We're not talking a last minute change! memcpy() *always* documented not
16 > to use overlapping memory areas.
17
18 Yes, *documented*, I'm aware of that.
19
20 But both that document as well as uncountable lines of source code are rather old.
21 While the source code isn't that large a problem for Gentoo, existing binaries
22 without source code still are.
23
24 The questions simply are:
25 *) Does anyone really need memcpy when there is memmove?
26 *) Is it worth the effort to bug everyone to replace memcpy by memmove in their
27 existing applications, with or without investigating that memcpy doesn't suffice?
28
29 /haubi/
30 --
31 Michael Haubenwallner