From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 20:33:06
1 Ühel kenal päeval, E, 10.04.2017 kell 16:17, kirjutas William L.
2 Thomson Jr.:
3 > On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 16:01:55 -0400
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Ok I concede on removing older versions. Lets put old version
7 > > aside.
8 > >
9 > > What about adding new? You still have to add the new version to
10 > > PYTHON_COMPAT in each ebuild right?
11 > >
12 > > What about users? Do they need do anything if they have specific
13 > > targets set? Or all should just use Wildcard and if in ~arch have
14 > > 3-4+ pythons.
15 > >
16 > > Even if house cleaning, removing old is not an issue. You still
17 > > have
18 > > adding new, and the end user experience.
19 >
20 > What about dependencies? Their slots must be increased as well right?
21 >
22 > In fact that effects removal. You cannot remove an old version if any
23 > depend on that slot specifically.
24
25 The USE dep requirement on the old python target will go away with the
26 removal of it in eclass and I don't know what slots have to do with it.
27 This circles back to first gathering the basic knowledge of how these
28 things work right now and why, even if I don't necessarily agree with
29 the way this was pointed out.
30
31 > Rather in Java's case. If an older is removed, the ebuild does not
32 > need
33 > to be modified ever.... Nor if a new one is added unless it breaks.
34
35 Nor does in python, it's just a janitorial process to reduce the
36 ebuilds by 2 bytes or something. One which can be scripted and rather
37 easily pushed thanks to not CVS anymore.