From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 22:13:32
1 On 01/27/2017 12:54 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > We approved GLEP 27 (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:27) in 2004 but
3 > never implemented it. I'm wondering what are the explicit requirements
4 > that we have for user and group management?
5 >
6 > What I'm really wondering is, instead of the proposal in GLEP27, if we
7 > couldn't simply handle users like any other package.
8
9 I put together a draft of the "fixed UIDs with random fallback" model:
10
11 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Mjo/GLEP:User_packages
12
13 If we decide to fix UID/GID management, I think it would be a lot easier
14 to implement that draft than GLEP:27. I would be interested in hearing
15 for which use cases GLEP:27 would be preferable.
16
17 If anyone wants to play with the draft or work on a reference
18 implementation, I can move this stuff to a public namespace.