From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: johu's packages up for grabs
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 06:03:02
1 On 11.10.2021 2.05, Petru Ciobanu wrote:
2 > I'm using net-vpn/openfortivpn almost everyday and I would like to start
3 > contributing to Gentoo. If possible, I would not mind to start looking
4 > after it, alone or to co-maintain it with someone who knows more
5 > about maintaining a package. Also, I would not mind some hits on where
6 > to start, but I'm sure I can find enough information on Gentoo docs.
9 Hey,
10
11 thanks for your interest! I see there's a lot to do with openfortivpn.
12 First, there's a version bump available, and a relatively simply-looking
13 bug you could try to fix with the version bump,
14 https://bugs.gentoo.org/766357
15
16 Then you can call for a stabilization of a newer version,
17 net-vpn/openfortivpn
18 StableRequest: version 1.16.0: slot(0) no change in 161 days for
19 unstable keyword: [ ~amd64 ]
20
21 and after stabilization is done, you can attempt to remove the older
22 versions. Please see
23 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html#moving-from-arch-to-arch
24 for stabilization guide.
25
26 We prefer getting pull requests through Github, see
27 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Github for a general guide into
28 that. If you use IRC, you can join #gentoo-dev-help on Libera.chat
29 network to get more guidance.
30
31 You can contribute to maintainer-needed packages without having to
32 become the maintainer. We do allow regular users to become maintainers
33 of packages they're interested in via the proxy-maint project,
34 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers
35 but we'd first like to see some successful contributions and consistency
36 from you. As said, you can freely contribute to maintainer-needed
37 packages without having to become the maintainer.
38
39 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature