From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:30:17
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 09/15/2011 07:33 AM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
4 > > The use for an initrd/initramfs/... will create an additional layer of
5 > > complexity a lot of us users are not really waiting for, especially as we
6 > are
7 > > not seeing any issues with our current systems.
8 >
9 > Like it or not, it's the simplest possible solution if you want separate
10 > /usr. The plan is to provide a minimal initramfs that won't contain any
11 > modules, so it won't have to be rebuilt for each kernel. See the "/usr
12 > vs. initramfs redux" thread:
15 It should be noted that the alternative is to use a more full-featured
16 initramfs like dracut, which will also be updated to support mounting /usr
17 (it already parses /etc/fstab to remount root anyway).
18
19 The minimal initramfs will not contain mdadm or lvm tools, so it is
20 basically suitable for booting systems that don't currently require an
21 initramfs. Of course, something like dracut is more likely to require you
22 to rebuild the initramfs every time you update your kernel, and won't simply
23 be a static image like the simplified one.
24
25 The simplified initramfs could be compiled into the kernel as Zac suggests
26 (this is probably the most foolproof method), or it could be loaded from
27 /boot using the appropriate grub settings.
28
29 Note that dracut does drop you to a shell if it fails (this is
30 configurable), but by default this shell is dash, not bash. No doubt it
31 would work fine either way, but bash is likely to be a little slower. I
32 don't think RAM use is likely to be a problem - it should be completely
33 de-allocated before init runs.