From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild, ip6tables headaches, kernel confusion, xinetd vs. tcpwrappers
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:12:42
1 On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:55:24AM -0600, Justin Vander Ziel wrote:
2 : Hello folks.
3 :
4 : 1. I managed to revise the iptables-1.1.2.ebuild script to handle
5 : iptables-1.2 -- and it worked! That is, except for one small problem: I
6 : forgot to build a package list for ebuild and BTW, how do I do this?
7
8 That's the nifty thing about the portage system--it takes care of
9 creating the packing list.
10
11 : 2. the ebuild script chokes on versions such as in autofs-4.0.0-pre9.tar.bz2
12 : (with accompanying ebuild file) -- when I do
13 :
14 : # ebuild autofs-4.0.0-pre9.ebuild merge
15
16 That's not a valid name for an ebuild. Try something like
17 "autofs-4.0.0_p9.ebuild". Then in the ebuild, explicitly set $P to the
18 package name to use (eg "P=autofs-4.0.0-pre9")
19
20 : 4. kernel confusion
21 : When all is said and done why not just go with 2.4.0 stable? My neophyte
22 : logic says that if it's a final kernel release that has been blessed by
23 : Linus than at the very least, it must be more stable than the 2.3.X series
24 : or the 2.4.0-testX series (I don't know where the ac1/2/3 fit into this).
25
26 Ahh, grasshopper. When many release cycles you've been through, trust a
27 point-oh release you will not.
28
29 : 5. xinetd vs. tcpwrappers (a.k.a tcpd)
30 : OK, xinetd already provides the services of tcpwrappers so why would you
31 : want to install both by default as it is implied on the Gentoo home page?
32
33 Choice. Some applications (like exim and I think sudo) have intrinsic
34 support for tcpwrappers. These are a few other services (that I can't
35 think of off the top of my head). Anyway, lots of daemonizing services
36 have support for tcpwrappers. Some people find the syntax of
37 /etc/hosts.allow for the one or two services they run, to be a lot
38 simplier than setting up firewall rules.
41 : 6. app suggestions
42 : I haven't seen a master plan/list regarding what get's included in the
43 : production release -- although I do think that it should be limited to one
44 : CD -- AT MOST. IMHO there is definitely such a thing as too many apps. The
45
46 I agree. Just so long as the apps are the ones that I want. 8)
47
48 : 9. Nifty cd package label in ps if your interested.
49 : I spent a little time in Photoshop LE (I don't have $600 smackers to pay for
50 : the real thing!) and whipped this up. I think it's attractive but it's not
51 : exactly 'production quality'. Anyways if you want a copy I'll send you a
52 : postscript file with the cd label and jacket for gentoo 1.0 rc3
53
54 Hey, I'd dig a copy of that.
55
56 --Jerry
57
58 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
59 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
60 email: jerry@××××××.com || ...It's much more important
61 || than that!