From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of einstall
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:19:22
1 >>>>> On Sat, 30 Aug 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > I believe that we should work towards deprecating and removing
4 > the einstall helper from PMS, for the following reasons:
5
6 > [...]
7
8 > Why do we have einstall?
9 > ------------------------
10
11 > I don't know the exact reasoning for having it in the first place.
12 > One reason I've heard is that old versions of automake didn't support
13 > DESTDIR, and therefore we had to specify all the directories. However,
14 > DESTDIR support in automake dates back to 1998 when automake 1.3 was
15 > released -- and that pretty much predates Gentoo.
16
17 > I've asked Ciaran about it, and he said that 'the idea was to avoid
18 > people duplicating anything'. In other words, that einstall was used
19 > only because calling 'emake install DESTDIR="${D}"' was considered bad.
20
21 > If anyone could shed some more light into this, I'd appreciate that.
22
23 Looks like econf and einstall were added to Portage at the same time,
24 in January 2002:
25 http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-src/portage/bin/ebuild.sh?hideattic=0&revision=1.12&view=markup
26
27 The earliest mentioning of einstall that I could find in our mailing
28 lists is in the following post (interestingly, its subject also starts
29 with "The future of"):
30 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_52c0fb35cfe1bb3228f9ec1816bb2aeb.xml
31
32 However, "make DESTDIR=${D} install" already existed in
33 base_src_install in 2001, before einstall was introduced:
34 http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/eclass/base.eclass?revision=1.1&view=markup#l59
35
36 > What should we do?
37 > ------------------
38
39 > As I see it, we should simply ban einstall in EAPI 6. This way, we
40 > can prevent further mistakes from happening and let developers fix
41 > the current consumers once bumping EAPI (or lastrite them at some
42 > point).
43
44 It may be worth mentioning that econf in EAPI 6 will pass --docdir
45 and --htmldir options to configure. These would take precedence over
46 einstall's prefix="${ED}"/usr, i.e. einstall's path for documentation
47 files would be broken because ${D} would be missing from it.
48
49 So _if_ we decide to keep einstall, then we would have to pass
50 additional docdir and htmldir variables. OTOH, maybe this would be a
51 good occasion for getting rid of the function.
52
53 Ulrich