From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:08:27
1 On Wednesday 11 April 2012 12:10:05 Steven J Long wrote:
2 > William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > Another issue to consider is binaries that want to access things in
4 > > /usr/share/*. If a binary in /{bin,sbin} needs to access something in
5 > > /usr/share/*, you have two choices. move the binary to /usr or move the
6 > > thing it wants to access to / somewhere which would involve creating
7 > > /share. Actually there is another choice, but I don't want to go there.
8 > > That would be writing patches.
9 >
10 > I'm ignorant of which binaries do that?
11
12 off the top of my head:
13 - this is why /etc/localtime is no longer a symlink to
14 /usr/share/zoneinfo/
15 - this is why we have copies for a few terminals in /etc/terminfo from
16 /usr/share/terminfo/ ... hopefully the one you're using is listed there
17 - this is why we have to delay running keymap and consolefont init.d
18 scripts until after /usr has been mounted (/usr/share/keymaps
19 /usr/share/consolefont /usr/share/consoletrans)
20 - anything locale related doesn't work until /usr is mounted
21 (/usr/lib/locale /usr/share/locale)
22 - passwd changing relying on cracklib dicts won't work
23 (/usr/lib/cracklib_dict* /usr/share/misc/)
24
25 > (It's understood that you might not
26 > have manpages in rescue-mode.) OT, it's odd that nano is in /usr/bin but on
27 > my system at least it only links to /lib64.
28
29 /usr/bin/nano is a symlink
30 -mike