From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:52:58
1 On 11/19/2012 9:39 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Correct me if wrong, but didn't the issue start with udev wanting to put the
4 >> PCI ID database/file into /usr/share from /etc?
5 >
6 > Well, I can't vouch for what the first issue that arose was, but I do
7 > recall discussion that bluetooth keyboards also required libraries in
8 > /usr.
9 >
10 > Right now it takes less common situations to trigger problems with a
11 > separate /usr, but the general trend is not favorable. It isn't just
12 > software changes either - if I told somebody 15 years ago that USB
13 > keyboards were going to be problematic but standard PS2 keyboards
14 > would always work just fine, they'd say there was nothing to worry
15 > about since PS2 keyboards would always be around. For all we know in
16 > 5 years you won't be able to buy a USB keyboard.
17
18 Trust me, there will always be a wired keyboard around. Maybe it won't be
19 PS/2 and maybe it won't be USB, but there will always exist an option to
20 take a relatively "dumb" keyboard and plug it into the back of a computer to
21 have a basic input device for the foreseeable future.
24 Joshua Kinard
25 Gentoo/MIPS
26 kumba@g.o
27 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
28
29 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
30 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
31
32 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic