From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ada project needs your help!
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 08:19:23
1 On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 23:11:33 -0800
2 Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 16:47:41 +0100
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > So the only real consumer is GHDL -- yet another case when someone
8 > > thought it'd be fun to use a fringe language to implement something
9 > > useful... However, it seems to be undermaintained in Gentoo as well,
10 > > not bumped for a long time.
13 > Undermaintained perhaps, but it works. Not a lot of bugs filed. Would a
14 > pull request be sufficient to stop this package I use from being
15 > steamrollered into oblivion? I honestly wasn’t hoping to spend my
16 > holidays learning how the GCC build system works, but if I’m left with
17 > no other choice, then I possibly might look into it. I won’t bother
18 > though if there’s some reason why it wouldn’t be accepted anyway,
19 > because people don’t want Gnat or GHDL in the tree.
20
21 There's no hurry. I'm not really into one-time-fix-then-abandoned
22 business but there's no reason to lastrite it in a hurry. First I'm
23 trying to figure out:
24
25 a) if there are people interested in forming an Ada project, or if Ada
26 packages should be looking for dedicated maintainers,
27
28 b) which of the Ada packages are actually needed/used.
29
30 Would it be fine with you if we kept gnat-gcc and ghdl? (but lastrited
31 dev-ada/*)
34 Best regards,
35 Michał Górny
36 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>