From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] EAPI 2 Draft
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 11:49:03
1 Christian Faulhammer wrote:
2
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>:
4 >> Both approaches are essentially equivalent but it's a little simpler
5 >> for ebuild writer if they don't have to customize the output file
6 >> name.
7 >
8 > One needs exceptions for all kind of systems, for example I had to
9 > workaround Trac which adds ?format=raw to a tarball URI. There seems
10 > to be a solution in Trac as the guys from fedarahosted fixed the two I
11 > needed (tmpwatch, mlocate). So the -> operator is quite useful and I
12 > agree with David that the functionality is doubled.
13 >
14 Clearly src-uri transformation is useful. Others have given examples of how
15 it would be useful to an eclass. Irrespective of how the actual transform
16 is done in the ;sf=tbz2 case, both _are_ valid use-cases.
17
18 As such I don't see any reason not to put it in the EAPI. Future extensions
19 can be trialled in eutils, and these can both be allowed syntax for other
20 package managers to comply with (one implementation has already been given)
21 and ebuild devs to feel comfortable using in the Gentoo tree. Why slow the
22 innovation down? It's good enough for use as-is.