From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] supervise update
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:27:29
Hi All,

On CVS, I just changed the format of all packages that are "supervised" (use
daemontools to ensure high availability).  We've been moving things around
recently, and up until today, things were in /etc/supervise and /var/supervise.
Now, things are in /var/lib/supervise/services and /var/lib/supervise/control.
Before, the administrator had to modify symlinks in /etc/supervise to control
things; now everything is handled behind the scenes by the rc script, which is
your front-end to the supervise system.  For example, Samba installs two
scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d -- "samba" and "svc-samba".  The "svc-samba" script
uses supervise while the "samba" script does not.

It's up to you to choose which one you want to use.  Also, please note that all
these changes (to dcron, openssh, samba, xinetd, dnscache and baselayout) have
not yet been tested -- so be careful.  They're on CVS because we're going to
start testing them out and getting them working perfectly for Gentoo Linux
1.0_rc4.  In the meantime, you can simply avoid all the files that begin with
"svc" in /etc/rc.d/init.d.

Best Regards,

--
Daniel Robbins					<drobbins@g.o>