From: "José Fonseca" <j_r_fonseca@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome2 release schelude:
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 06:01:37
1 I'm eager to start playing with gcc-3.1 and Gnome2. I'm not afraid of
2 screwing up things because I believe that's necessary in order to progress
3 (that's one of the things that made try and love Gentoo). Unfortunately
4 I've a deadline for a paper submission which is closing in the next few
5 days, so I've been restraining myself from messing so deeply with my
6 system as I can't afford have it down until then.
7
8 But when I do, what's the best way to upgrade my gcc-2.95.3+gnome-1.4
9 system to gcc-3.1+gnome-2.0 ? I know that gnome-2.0 works well
10 side-by-side with a gnome 1.4 system, but regarding gcc-3.1 I've seen here
11 that it's better to start from scratch. Is it so?
12
13 I really didn't want to mess up with partitions again, so is there a way
14 to reinstall gentoo (or simply recompile all packages with new settings)
15 in order to achieve the same effect?
16
17 Thanks,
18