From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:11:51
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 02:49, Duncan wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:10:43 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >> it was purely to keep people from continuing to whine with circular
4 >> logic.  if bugzilla had a way to temporarily lock comments, i would
5 >> have used that.
6 >
7 > In theory, that'd be a useful feature.  In fact, probably not so much, as
8 > it simply encourages people to complain much more visibly, very possibly
9 > in a PR-adverse way.
10
11 i couldn't care less. if people are swayed by random rants rather
12 than reality, then i'm not going to waste time on them.
13
14 > You could see it was circular logic, but what if he had blogged about it
15 > and that blog had hit the FLOSS media circuit?  How many FLOSS reporters
16 > would have seen that it was circular logic based on his blog and a locked
17 > (comment or visibility) bug?  What about all their readers?
18
19 clearly you don't know my opinion of blogs in general.
20
21 > Additionally, that bug was referenced in a number of changelog entries.
22 > How useful is a link to a locked bug, for those looking for more info, as
23 > I, for instance did (as I often do with -rX bumps, since information
24 > that's significant enough to cause a gentoo revision bump in the absence
25 > of an upstream version bump is often significant enough for me as an
26 > admin to want to be aware of)?
27
28 then you'd simply wait until it got unlocked. or ask a dev.
29
30 > Unfortunately, locking a bug to kill the whining is likely to have rather
31 > more negative effects than one might have anticipated.  One would think
32 > comment locking would be a logical enough extension to have been
33 > implemented by now; perhaps this is why it hasn't been.  (Full visibility
34 > locking is of course different, security bugs and all.)
35
36 i don't see any negative effects so far.
37 -mike