From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [REVIEW] News Item - 2020-10-17-display-manager-init
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 10:37:09
1 On 10/23/20 3:50 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Thu, 22 Oct 2020, Aisha Tammy wrote:
3 >
4 >> and remove 'xdm' from the default runlevel and add 'display-manager':
5 >
6 >> rc-update del xdm default
7 >> rc-update add display-manager default
8 >
9 > So, no automatic upgrade path for users? I am asking again, what is the
10 > rationale for renaming?
11 >
12 > I agree that "display-manager" might be a slightly better name than
13 > "xdm", but that's more than outweighted by the trouble that the renaming
14 > would impose on users.
15 >
16 > Ulrich
17 >
18 I could run these commands conditionally in postinst to make this
19 an automatic upgrade for people who have 'xdm' currently installed and
20 enabled in the default runlevel.
21
22 But I really don't think that running these commands is that big an
23 inconvenience.