From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Initial python-r1.eclass & distutils-r1.eclass
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:13:56
1 On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:55:37 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Currently you seem to have focused more on distutils when writing
5 > python-r1 which makes this eclass a bit raw.
6 > Waiting for other developers to file feature requests instead of
7 > figuring out those yourself before they even consider porting their
8 > ebuild to your new eclasses seems like a questionable policy to me.
9 > They might not be too excited about it to start discussions and
10 > feature requests just to switch from an already working implementation.
11
12 As you may have failed to notice, most of Python packages actually are
13 using distutils. Thus, the core goal for distutils-r1/python-r1 was to
14 correctly support those packages.
15
16 Now that distutils is supported well, I can start thinking about
17 supporting random hackish build systems. I will review redshift and
18 give you my thoughts.
19
20 Just note that your attitude is not motivating at all. I haven't killed
21 any of your kitten or forced anyone to use python-r1. Most of you
22 didn't even care to give a single word of feedback throughout
23 the development process, so your position of 'this eclass doesn't give
24 me shiny functions I want' is at least impolite.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny