From: Crux <ps@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New pcmcia startup script
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:53:30
1 Dear Ben,
4 > >so if you do a /et c/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia restart
5 > >it does not bring up/down lo
6 >
7 > Why would you need to cycle lo? In 5 years as a linux geek I've NEVER
8 > needed to take my lo down and bring it back up.
9
10 i know that .. but the inet or the network script in all the distros do this
11 ... correct me if i am wrong.
12
13 > Also, have you seen in other distros where lo is controlled by pcmcia?
14 > This is kind of strange that you would need this and I am just trying to
15 > understand.
16
17 you are right ... it is not controlled by pcmcia ... but network scripts also
18 parse to see if the nic is pcmcia (i know SuSE does).
19
20 This is not the case in gentoo.
21
22 And WHY should i use the inet script if i do not have a standard pci/isa nic.
23
24 so i need to dump the inet script and use the pcmcia script instead.
25
26 The pcmcia script bring up the lo and eth0 and vice versa.
27
28 I could also remove the eth initialisation lines from the inet script ... but
29 this is kindda stupid ... why use two scripts to do one job ?
30
31 The other solution could be to modify inet to recognise if there is a pcmcia
32 network card and act accordingly this is a better one and i am working on it.
33
34 Hope i am clear now.
35
36 Best Regards