From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Installer (text-based)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 06:54:51
1 On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:42:52 +0100
3 > "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Can anaconda give the user a shell at any point of the
5 >> installation? Is it possible to manually skip the automated steps?
6 >
7 > Last I checked, Anaconda was designed for binary installations,
8 > originally for RPM-based systems. Trying to shove source-based
9 > compilation into a binary installer seems like a lot of time,
10 > trouble, and hacking. Better to start from scratch.
11
12 Anaconda doesn't depend against rpm anymore. Distro-specific bits have
13 to be implemented through a "backend". You can make your backend do
14 whatever you want.
17 > I hope you guys talk to releng about your CLI-based installer, if it
18 > gets off the ground. Since we'll need to figure out what's
19 > "supported" as an official install method. If you aren't worried
20 > about a "canonical" way of doing things with the existing media, then
21 > never mind. Either way, good luck.
24 The only way to avoid epic failures is to keep the whole thing simple,
25 without trying to fit everybody. An installer that would cover a
26 standard install, newbie-oriented scenario would be definitely good.
27 Experienced people won't use it anyway, so why bothering trying to
28 cover their needs, it would be a straight way to fail again.
31 Fabio Erculiani
32 http://lxnay.com