From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 07:13:45
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:44:11PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote

> Busybox is installed as part of the system profile on amd64. You can > install mdev by doing this: > > ln -s /bin/busybox /sbin/mdev
The official method is to build busybox with the "mdev" USE flag. That is the only way that virtual/dev-manager recognizes it, and doesn't try to pull in udev, instead. From the ebuild... RDEPEND="|| ( sys-fs/udev sys-apps/busybox[mdev] sys-fs/devfsd sys-fs/static-dev sys-freebsd/freebsd-sbin )"
TOOT!!! (blowing my own horn). See http://www.waltdnes.org/mdev/ for instructions on replacing udev with mdev for simple Gentoo systems. Hopefully more info will start arriving, allowing more complex systems to work with mdev. -- Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>