From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Support for multiple ABIs for amd64 (64bit,32bit) in multilib overlay
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:49:58
1 Mike Frysinger schrieb:
2 > On Sunday 16 August 2009 08:37:37 Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >> -for the portage version: It is also in the multilib overlay, but in a
4 >> different branch called portage-multilib. To use this, you should read the
5 >> instructions at [1] (doc/portage-multilib-instructions). This one should
6 >> also mainly work, but there is probably a good amount of packages in the
7 >> main tree, which may refuse to work with it.
8 >
9 > the abi-wrapper doesnt look terribly appealing. why dont we use broken/custom
10 > -config handling as incentive to convert packages to .pc files. pkg-config
11 > handles ABI/cross-compile splitting cleanly and transparently.
12
13 I am totally unfamiliar with pkg-config, so that would take some time or a helping hand.
14
15 > bash-4 is stable, so we could start depending on it.
16
17 It still has 3 unstable KEYWORDS including mips.
18
19 > you dont save/restore CPPFLAGS
20
21 Are there any initial values it should get?
22
23 > is there documentation that covers the proposed changes/design to portage ?
24 > i'm not looking for high level (it runs src_compile twice). i dont recall
25 > seeing details posted to the portage or gentoo mailing lists ... it's hard to
26 > review `git diff portage-svn..master`.
27 > -mike
28
29 There is currently no documentation for the actual code version.
30
31 In short, there are those changes:
32
33 1. ability to run phases multiple times in ebuild.sh:
34
35 change from
36 ...
37 dyn_unpack()
38 src_unpack
39
40 dyn_compile()
41 src_compile
42
43 dyn_install()
44 src_install
45 ...
46
47 to basicly
48
49 ...
50 dyn_unpack()
51 for each ABI
52 call set_abi
53 create ABI workdir
54 set ABI envronment variables
55 call src_unpack
56
57 dyn_compile()
58 for each ABI
59 call set_abi
60 use workdir for current ABI
61 set ABI environment variables
62 call src_compile
63
64 dyn_install()
65 for each ABI
66 call set_abi
67 use workdir for current ABI
68 set ABI environment variables
69 call src_install
70 call _finalize_abi_install
71 create gentoo-multilib headers (if needed)
72 ...
73
74 2. Adding the internal lib32 useflag and usedeps with some workarounds
75
76 3. Added bin/auto-multilib.sh, which contains most functions, merged together from the older version
77 kanaka presented ( => http://dev.gentoo.org/~kanaka/auto-multilib/) and the multilib-native.eclass
78 from master branch of multilib overlay.
81 Thomas Sachau
82
83 Gentoo Linux Developer