From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Step on my toes, please.
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 21:30:09
1 On Thursday, November 3, 2016 11:15:07 AM EDT Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
2 > Hey guys,
3 >
4 > Every other day on IRC, I see people arguing about touching each
5 > others packages, despite our policies against it. (Sometimes it's even
6 > me who's doing the touching!) My instinctive reaction is always,
7 > "can't everybody calm down and be happy somebody is doing your work
8 > for you?" The answer to this question is, of course, that it depends
9 > who the developer is and how competent you are.
10
11 In the past it was always best to at least let the package maintainer know if
12 not check with them first. At the same time, long as anyone owns their changes/
13 work. It should be welcomed as collaborative effort.
14
15 I rather some things be touched, vs commented and expected to be done by the
16 maintainer. If you have something to add to make something better, proceed.
17 Though I am sure others will feel otherwise.
18
19 It is easy to feel ownership for time spent. At the same time long as others
20 are willing to be responsible for anything they do. It should not be an issue.
23 William L. Thomson Jr.