From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:27:15
1 On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:18:56 +0100
2 George Shapovalov <george@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > It goes back a long time, and is basically a poor man's local
5 > > overlay without having to use layman. As I understand it, portage
6 > > will treat the directory like any other when looking for ebuilds
7 > > and resolving deps, but exclude it from a sync.
8 > Nope, he means /usr/portage/local, not /usr/local/portage. It is
9 > rarely (if ever, nowadays) present, as I understand, but you can find
10 > it mentioned in that config file. It may be just a legacy definition
11 > by now, looking at how only layman was mentioned with relation to it
12 > and even that one appears not to use it any more.
13
14 I thought about this some more, and now realise I've been using
15 essentially the same set of config files since about 2004. I've never
16 lost them and always had a current copy so each time I build a new host
17 I just copy, tweak CFLAGS, maybe MAKEOPTS, and let 'er rip.
18
19 My "local" is probably years out of date. Serves me right for not
20 reading 50 screens of man page with every new host :-)
21
22 This sub-thread is probably just noise, sorry for that.
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com