From: Erik Grinaker <erikg@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FAQ
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 13:47:45
1 On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 09:27, George Shapovalov wrote:
2
3 > Please post what questions you think should be included (preferably with
4 > answers :)) to this thread. I'll put them in faq.xml and commit it. You can
5
6 Sorry, forgot the xml in my previous mail. Anyways, here's a new q&a,
7 this time with xml.
8
9 <section>
10 <title>
11 I have installed openssh on my box, but can only log in as
12 root - my normal user accounts doesn't work.
13 </title>
14
15 <body>
16 <p>
17 This is most probably because your user account doesn't have
18 a valid shell specified. Check for your user entry in
19 <path>/etc/passwd</path> and see if it ends in /bin/bash
20 (or any other shell). If it doesn't, you must set a shell
21 for the user. This is done using the usermod command, like
22 this ;
23 </p>
24
26 </body>
27 </section>
31 Erik Grinaker
32 Freelance UNIX/Linux systems consultant
33
34 "Perfection is acheived not when there is nothing more to add, but
35 rather when there is nothing more to take away"
36 - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry